Thursday 8 December 2011

Journal Entry #4

In the last portion of the novel “Percy Jackson and the Olympians – The Lightning Thief” the scene becomes gloomy as they enter the threshold of hell (the underworld) and Percy, Annabeth and Grover end up playing fetch with Cereberus, the “hell hound” or guard dog for hell. This part of the novel really intrigued me because it seemed as if nobody had done anything like it before and that the author was breaking new ground when he included this part. I believe that Rick Riordan has one of the most creative and imaginative minds of our era. Another thing I found surprising was the ending. The book ends with Luke putting a scorpion on Percy’s lap which shocked me. Luke is helping Kronos to try and rise from Tararus. I was very shocked when I found out that Luke was the one trying to start a war of the gods because he was the one who seemed to be helping Percy the whole time on his quest. He deceived me and everyone else in the book which proves how entertaining and convincing an author Rick Riordan is. What else can I say but wow! Officially, this is the most interesting, intriguing, action packed fantasy book I have ever read! I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next one. Hats off to you, Rick Riordan, for writing the best novel I have ever read!

Nick Simpson

3 comments:

  1. I was also really shocked! The way that Luke changes from being the only nice guy at camp to the guy that nearly killed him really surprised me. Something else that i noticed which i don't think has been pointed out yet is that Luke betrayed him far before this last part of the book. He betrayed him when he gave him the shoes that were meant to drag him down to Tartaraus, to Kronos with the master bolt. That occurred to me earlier but wasn't really pointed out. I can't wait to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know eh! ol' Rickie pulled a double twist. just when you think that you had it all figured out that it was Ares's idea instead of Hades, he proves you wrong againand sets you up for one zinger of an ending

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also surprized when it turned out to be Ares instead of Hades to betray the gods. Then I was really surprized when Luke turned out to be a traitor. Another example other than the winged shoes that Nick mentioned. When Luke was sent the Iris message from the car wash he was acting really wierd almost as if he had a guilty concious. This made me suspect him thoughout most of the book.

    ReplyDelete