Thursday 8 December 2011

finale journal

All of the things that I have talked about in my other journals has merely been a buildup to quite an amazing ending. In most books I have read, by the time that you get to the climax of the story, you can almost tell that the author is tired and fed up and just wants to finish the book and then you end up with the most predictable and ,sometimes, boring ending you can get. One thing that I really liked about how Riordan finished his book is that he created all these questions during the rising action, and he saved all the answers until the climax of the book. Questions like: is my mom still alive, does hades have the bolt, and what Percy fail to save that is most important to him. This all goes back to my last journal about how Riordan drops clues for you that are oh so subtle that you might not even notice and then drops the answers on you and leaves you shocked and satisfied. When I read up on Rick Riordan I learn that before he wrote the Lightning Thief he wrote many adult mystery novels. His experience with writing mystery novels really shows through in how he wrote the ending of this book. Everybody knows that any good mystery has a twist ending. Twist endings can sometimes be a bit tacky and too easy to see coming, really it’s all about how the author leads you to believe to believe the thing that is not true. The way that he almost had me convinced that it was Hades that stole the bolt was the perfect set up for the bomb that he dropped on me after. This book almost had two climaxes. The true climax of the book was when Percy and Hades met and then Percy had to make a decision of who to save. But Riordan didn’t let you down easy after that. He was still able to fit an intense fight scene in there. After the fight scene with Percy and Ares, you did really get the feeling that the book was coming to a close with a nice happy ending, but just then Riordan reminded me that this book is part of a series, by giving the last chapter an amazing hook that really shows you the bigger picture and truly gives an idea of what lies in store for Percy. All in all, I truly loved this book. Thumbs up to Rick Riordan for writing such an epic tale and I look for to reading on.

jamie collins

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with how you said he Answeres your questions in the most sophysticated ways, which is a good thing. I thought the way he revealed the conclusion was very rewarding for the reader. Also, I have read books where the author gets lazy and and makes a terrible ending and it really does suck to read all the way to the end and be disapointed in that sense.

    ReplyDelete