Tuesday 6 December 2011

2nd Journal

After reading the second section of the book I am actually surprized on how the plot played out. I liked how Riordan did the story line, he made the answeres to your questions on the book be told in time which made the book worth reading. As he lead up to the exciting parts of the book Riordan did not disapoint me when I got to the climax. In other books I have read, the rising action made it seem like something great and exciting was going to happen. Then once you get there youre left hanging with a boring, and blan so called, "Climax." One thing that caught me off guard was the way the old fashion greek mytholigy was so well tied together with a modern story. An example of this is how the three kids depart on their quest with their magical perks to help them on their way. All the while, taking bus's and trains and acting like regular, mortal people. I thought it was interesting how Riordan made the rules of how things worked when the two worlds met. For example, how the mortal people could not see the things that Percy and the other god and mythical creature related beings could see. Like Percy's sword Riptide, it was invinsible when it came in contact with the mortals. Also, how camp Half-Blood was seen as a regular valley to the normal people. This book in my opinion is similar to everyday life, minus the god's, and flying shoes, and a Yankee's hat that made you invisible. It definitely follows in the footsteps of regular Greek Mythology, involving important life lessons, how to face the challenges that regular people face everyday. As, overcoming obstacles is what life is all about. This book provides an educational side and an exciting more modern and understanding side, which makes it a great read, and I can't wait to read the rest.

5 comments:

  1. i don't quite get what you mean about the climax because the climax still hasn't happened yet. the climax to me is when percy is in the underwold and he has to decide wether or not to save his mom. I guess you could see how the climax happened in the second quarter because of all the action and exitement but there was stiln no real decision taking place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jordan but Jamie i somewhat agree with. I thought that because there was so much action that there was a climax in the second quarter of the novel. The climax in the second quarter of the novel really was exciting and how Rick Riordan tied Greek Mythology into the story really did make it much more interesting. I thought that the climax was exciting as it should be but to be able to tie Greek Mythology into all of the action was incredible! As you said, the book is very much like real life and I think that what tipped me over the edge for thinking so was the fact that the author, Rick Riordan, wrote the main character in first person allowing us to hear his thoughts and feel his emotions!

    Nick Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jamie on this one. Even though there is lots of action and lots of conflicts in this section of the book it still is not the climax. I believe that the climax is when Percy needs to decide whether to save his mother or save grover. This is the major decision in the book and therefore it is the climax in my mind. But still a very well done journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see where you guys are coming from, but when I wrote this journal I did have a clue that the climax would be in the underworld. But I didnt know at the time. But regardless I didnt really mean climax as in THE climax, but more as excting part or parts of the book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see where you guys are coming from, but when I wrote this journal I did have a clue that the climax would be in the underworld. But I didnt know at the time. But regardless I didnt really mean climax as in THE climax, but more as excting part or parts of the book

    ReplyDelete