Friday 9 December 2011

4th Journal

The ending of the book I thought was an absolutely spectacular climax. At this point as expected I was the most intersted in the book. I thought the imagery involved in describing the Underworld was very well done. As well as the modern twist thrown in. As an example when they go to the entrance to the underworld, they were takin down by elevator. Then when it reached the Underworld it turned into a barge and floated down the river to the gates. Another example is how the security in Underworld was so modern. It's security consisted of metal detectors, magic detectors, as well as strip searches for those who were terribly bad when they were alive. One thing I didnt understand was how they got into the Underworld so easily. For one, all they did to get into the elevator was give Charon a few golden drachmas. Then once they got to the security, to get past Cerberus (The three headed guard dog of the underworld) all they did was throw a ball for him and then they got through. Then when they set off all the security alarms, they just hid in a corner, then casually walked through the Fields of Asphodel. As I mentioned before the imagery used in describing the Underworld was really spectacular. Especially in describing the different sections. For example, the Fields of Asphodel were described as standing in a wheat field in Kansas forever. Also the Fields of Elysium were described as beautiful houses from every time period, with siver and gold flowers blooming in every lawn. I think that just the fact of them being in the Underworld made it more intense and exciting. Then once they returned from the Underworld Percy's fight with Ares, I thought was very well sequenced. The way Percy conjured up the idea of using the waves to defeat Ares really surprised me. Then, Percy takes the Helm from Ares and returns it safely back to Hades. Then returns the Bolt to Mount Olympis, meeting hius father along the way. I think it would not have been a very good ending to the book without finally meeting his father. After reading nearly to the end I thought it would have been better just ending it right then and there to leave on a good note. Then I read the very end and understood why it was needed. It was needed because you find out who is the real traitor, who was Luke working for Kronos. I think this sets the base of the next to come very well and actualy got me interested in reading it. All in all, great book and I would reccomend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment