Wednesday 7 December 2011

3rd Journal

The third quarter of this book, I thought was way more exciting than the first half of the book. The creativeness that was put into it really surprised me. Now, I do have a knoledge of greek mythology, and I must say that this book really gets it right on the money. The way he puts a modern twist into it really adds to the quality of this book. For example, when the three kids run into Ares at the diner Percy started to get angry just from Ares's presence. Which added to the reality of this book as Ares is the god of war. Then once Percy retrieved the sword, Ares was nice to them, and gave them provisions, as well as a ride west. This forshadows that Ares is up to something mischievous because he's always trying to start something. I didn't expect the relationship of Percy and Annabeth to get more intimate as the story went on. I expected her to stick to her plain hard to get type of attitude. On the other hand I think that this is a good element to have in the story. The romantic side, I think works very well with the action making it more dramatic. At this point in the book I think Grover has definitely become more confident, now that he is off the hook for nearly letting Percy get killed. He is starting to stand up for himself. You can see this when they are in the trailer with the animals on their way west. And Grover is sickened and eventually lets all of the animals go. Then I was surprised when the zebra talked to Percy and said, "Thank you lord." Then I remembered Poseidon's relation to horses. One thing I predict is that something really good is going to happen to Grover. I think after the grief he has been through so far almost failing on two of his quests. I think it only makes sense to end the story with him being successful, and maybe even find pan which is every Satyr's dream.

1 comment:

  1. ya i also really liked the effort he put into studying greek mythology. before reading this book i had read many different books on greek myhtology and he still managed to teach me more about it but without recounting boring stories

    ReplyDelete