Wednesday 23 November 2011

“Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” by Rick Riordan

The first quarter of the book “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” is not your run of the mill Greek mythology story. It is much more than I anticipated and captured my interest from the first page. My time spent reading this well written novel seems to fly by as I am taken from our world into the world of Percy Jackson.
I find this novel very enjoyable because it allows me to be sitting safely in my living room yet at the same time I am in the museum when Mrs. Dodds turns into a fury and kill Percy! Entering this fantasy world enable me to leave the mundane world behind and join Percy on his quest to rescue his mother. I think one of the reasons I am enjoying this book so much is that I have not ready anything that is even remotely similar to it. It is great to discover a novel which is well written and enjoyable and yet at the same time very understandable.
The novel covers a wide range of moods and tones. Initially the novel begins on a sad and sombre note when Percy is kicked out of his sixth boarding school is as many years. When he returns home for the summer break his obnoxious, rude and disrespectful Step-father greets him with his usual rude “do you got any money?”
Following this, I found the novel moves onto an upbeat note when Percy’s Mum decides that they are leaving for Montauk (a beach where they used to go every summer and also where his mother and father initially met each other). In the middle of the night after having a nightmare, Percy is woken up and rushed to Camp Half-Blood by Grover (his half goat, half man protector) and his mother. Enroute to the Camp the story takes a turn for the worse when their car is struck by a lightning bolt. A Minotaur is also chasing after them making the mood very intense. This Minotaur takes his mother as she vanishes into mid air. Grover is lying unconscious on the ground following the car crash. This action creates a very intense and fearful mood. Percy kills the Minotaur and is taken to Camp Half-Blood. Once at Camp Half-Blood the mood completely changes from intense and fearful to cheerful and happy as Percy safely recuperates and is in good health. Percy is eventually shown around the camp by Annabeth Chase.
The world of Greek mythology continues to await me as I enjoy the adventures of Percy Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment