Wednesday 30 November 2011

journal #2

In the second quarter of the book “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” I found it awesome how the author describes the settings. The imagination the rick riordan has is amazing. He was able to create this camp that contain lave climbing walls, sword fighting pits, basket ball courts, twelve unique cabins, and a vast forest filled with monsters. In some stories that have this many components to one setting usually it gets hard to picture and you just picture a cramped place filled with stuff. In this story however I was able to picture the camp right away in my head and I knew where everything was and what it all looked like. Another thing that I found interesting was the amount of effort that he put into incorporating Greek mythology into every piece of the book. For example; the twelve cabins which are the campers sleeping quarters and shrines to the guards are all in the shape of a “U”. well not exactly a “U”, but an omega which is the Greek symbol of power, and little details like that are found all over the book. Initially I read this book because it was mainly about Greek mythology, a topic that I happen to find very interesting. I think that my previous knowledge of Greek mythology made the book so much more interesting because you find those little details and hidden jokes and it feels rewarding. If don't already know much about Greek mythology, its alright because the book will teach you a heck of a lot. now back tho the cabins. Every cabin has certain characteristics that represent he gods that they pay homage to. For instance the Poseidon cabins walls are sea foam green and covered with seashells and other items of similarity, it also has a small water fountain and a window that over looks a lake. All in all I thought that Riordan did a very good job of researching and incorporating the different Greek myths.

jamie

2 comments:

  1. I also agrre, he did do an outstanding job describing the camp. It's funny though, i pictured the camp as being layed out opposite of what the map shows, i pictured the cabins, mess hall and beach much closer to the big house. Also i pictured the armory and stables as sort of smaller buildings behind the big house almost like large garages. All in all, a great journal and a nice touch with the map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! The author did an outstanding job describing the camp. I didn’t picture a cramped camp as you mentioned though. I really liked all of the Greek mythology the author incorporated into the novel as well because it made the book that much more realistic! That was a good idea to include a map pertaining to your journal entry.

    Nick Simpson

    ReplyDelete