Monday 28 November 2011

journal #1

So far, after reading the first section of this book my impressions are that it had a strong beginning. Right from the start I was immersed in this action filled fantasy. I think Riordan has made an excellent hook in order to get the reader interested. I also like how the book leads up to the climax. He foreshadows what will be revealed very well but he doesn't just give it to you. You have to look hard which makes reading this book more interactive. An example of this is how Riordan provides clues as to what Percy is becoming. For example, he tells of the incidents such as the fountain at the museum. When Grover and Percy are on their field trip the fountain seemed to grab Nancy. Also when the toilets exploded at camp Half-Blood. These clues help you get the basis of what the story is about. There are not very many things I don't like about this book yet, but if I had to pinpoint it, it would have to be that he covers up the darker, and innapropriate parts of story to make it more "PG". I think that the story would have been more dramatic, if he had been more descriptive of the more mature parts. Keeping that in mind, he did not intend to make it for an older audience. All in all, I cant wait to read the rest of the book, it is one that I am compelled to find out the conclusion.

2 comments:

  1. I truly agree with your journal except for the last portion of it. At the beginning you talk about how the book is an action filled fantasy and how the author has written an excellent hook. I agree with that completely but what I don’t agree with is when you talk about how the author left out some inappropriate parts of the story and tried to keep it "PG". I don’t know what you mean because he didn’t really cover anything up. I don’t know what inappropriate parts you thought he left out but if you could describe them I might be able understand better.
    Nick Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with nick on this one. first of all i have no idea where there would be inapropriate parts in this and also, the character af percy is only twelve years old. so if there any inapropriate parts involving him... that would be really creepy

    ReplyDelete